How to Get a Work & Holiday Visa

Posted on: 10 March 2015

If you are between the ages of 18 and 30, are planning visiting Australia, and you would like to work during your visit, a regular visitor's visa will not be enough. You will need to apply for a Work and Holiday Visa. This visa is also available to citizens from Malaysia, Turkey, Chile, and Thailand. It allows you to work for up to 12 months, and you can leave and re-enter Australia many times during this period.

If you think your situation calls for this visa, here are the steps you will need to take to get a work and holiday visa.

Gather the Appropriate Documents

Before applying for the visa, you will need to have your high school or university diplomas, your passport, the fee for the application and passport, and the application form (your working visa lawyer will make sure you fill out the appropriate form). Depending on where you have lived in the past few years, you may be required to meet certain requirements for a medical exam, and get a medical report from your physician to show to immigration officials in Australia.

You will also be required to have a criminal record check. There may be other documents you will need. A working visa lawyer from resources like Immigration Solutions will know what documents are required, and make sure that you have everything in place before you submit your visa application.

Buy Health Insurance

Before you can enter Australia for a working holiday, you will need to have proof of health insurance. Now is the time to get it. You can do this on your own, while the working visa lawyer is taking care of the other details. Make sure that you get full health coverage, because you never know what you are going to need in the way of health care.

Make Copies of Your Passport

You will need to have copies of each page of your passport, and each copy must be certified. You will also need to have two passport photos. All that is left to do is fill out the application form, which the working visa lawyer will help you do. Then, they will send all of the documents, the copies of your passport and passport photos, as well as your payment for the application fee, to the Australian Immigration Office.

Once you are notified that you have been approved for a working holiday visa, you can start planning your trip. It isn't necessary to have a passport visa stamp, as the Australian border authorities will already have the information about the approval for your visa.